Mexican food is my absolute favorite. Definitely up there with sushi + Italian. My husband and I crave it almost on an every-other-week basis. So I knew I had to find a healthy alternative. I love burritos; however, I wasn’t about to indulge that often. At the same time- I wanted to satisfy our craving. Cue the spaghetti squash mexican casserole! Honestly this recipe was totally random. Didn’t see it on Pinterest, didn’t see a recipe- we just happened to have the ingredients around the house. Since then, we’ve probably made it about 20 times already. I just love it so much. But even more than I love it- my husband loves it. Every time I ask what he wants for dinner- this. is. always. the. response. When I’m tired of it- he never is! It’s a great family meal because it lasts awhile too. I make it for my husband often if I’m going away for the weekend because you throw it all together and boom it’s done and lasts! Also- I’m not a big rice fan- I actually prefer the taste of spaghetti squash. If you don’t like spaghetti squash- well before I even go there- try this recipe ONCE with the spaghetti squash and if you’re not a fan, you can always swap it out for some brown rice, quinoa or whatever sounds yum to you. We have a pretty good feeling you’ll like it though!
Of note, the beauty of this recipe is that you can really modify to your own preference! Meatless Monday? Leave out the ground turkey. Vegan? Leave out the cheese + swap the meat for beans. Don’t like corn? Leave it out!
One more thing- you will notice I don’t add salt and that is because the taco seasoning has enough for the whole recipe. No need to add.
- 2 Large Spaghetti Squash
- 1 Small Yellow Onion – diced [use half if a large onion]
- 1/2 Avocado
- 2 Tbsp sour cream
- 1 Can Vegetarian Re-fried Beans
- 1 C Corn [canned, fresh or frozen- we use frozen]
- 2 Bell Peppers – diced
- 1 Can Black Beans OR 1lb Ground Turkey Meat
- 1/2 C Shredded Cheese [we use whatever we have- typically cheddar but have also used mozzarella]
- 1 Packet of Taco Seasoning Mix [we use McCormick Organics]
- 2 Jalapeño Peppers [optional] – sliced
- Fresh Cilantro [optional]
- Hot sauce [optional]
- Preheat oven to 450.
- Prep Spaghetti Squash: If my husband is home, he is able to cut the spaghetti squash in half. If he is not home, I will poke holes in the spaghetti squash with a fork (about 5 times) and throw in the microwave for 5-10 minutes (depends on size of squash). At this point, I am able to cut the squash in half. Then remove seeds (sometimes we save these and bake as a snack), drizzle with olive oil and pepper and throw in the oven for 35 minutes on 450. If you have trouble, check out: https://www.thekitchn.com/how-to-cook-spaghetti-squash-in-the-oven-178036.
- While your spaghetti squash is baking- whip up the ground turkey meat (if using- if not, skip to step 5).
- Brown ground turkey in medium sized pan and follow instructions on taco seasoning packet.
- In a large skillet (separate from turkey meat) saute bell peppers, onion and corn with about a 1 Tbsp of olive oil and pepper for about 10-15 min on medium just to soften them up
- Once spaghetti squash is done baking, reduce heat to 375.
- Scrape spaghetti squash out with fork, creating stringy/spaghetti like squash!
- Place spaghetti squash in a 9 x 9 baking dish. Spread evenly.
- Layer re-friend beans on top (doesn’t have to be spread perfectly even. as it warms in the oven, it will spread)
- Then add either ground turkey meat or black beans on top (whichever you are using)
- Lastly, add corn/bell pepper/onion mixture
- Sprinkle cheese on top + add sliced jalapeño peppers on top
- Place casserole in oven for 20-25 minutes at 375
- Mash/Mix 2 Tbsp of Reduced Fat Sour Cream with 1/2 Avocado for topping.
- Your done! We recommend a dab of hot sauce + fresh cilantro to top!
- If you like salsa, throw some on top! When in Rome (or Mexico bahaha)
-The Neilan Family-