We are lovers of matcha forever + always [in and on all things]. My husband has now become equally [or more so] as obsessed as I am and that is the absolute, 100% truth. I am just as shocked as you are! A lot of pouting happens in the kitchen if we miss a morning without a dose of it before the hospital. But MATCHA IN PANCAKES- oh boy. Game changing. There are all the fancy pancakes in the world- which I love too- but matcha pancakes- always my fav. You can top it with the whipped cream recipe we also posted or a lot of the time I like matcha pancakes with coconut yogurt on top and almonds! Best part about it is- you can play with it – till you find what you like!
See earlier post on health benefits of Matcha: https://doctormeetsdietitian.com/2017/11/12/matcha-coffee-adderall/.
Also check out morning “anti-gremlin” concoction for our morning matcha routine: https://doctormeetsdietitian.com/2017/11/14/morning-anti-gremlin-concoction/.
- 1 egg [for vegan option, use flax egg aka 1 tbsp flax/3 tbsp water and mix]
- 1/3 cup milk [we used almond milk]
- 2 tablespoons melted butter (plus more for skillet) [we used coconut butter]
- 2 tablespoons sugar [we used 2 1/2 tsp Truvia]
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup flour [use flour of your choice]
- 1 tablespoon matcha powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- pinch salt
- 1/4 tsp spirulina [optional]
- 1 tsp ground flax [optional]
- In a large bowl, whisk together the egg, milk, melted butter, sugar, and vanilla extract. Add the flour, matcha powder, spirulina, ground flax, baking powder, and salt, and whisk just until the batter comes together; the batter should be lumpy.
- Heat a skillet over medium-low heat. Brush with coconut butter or regular butter. Dollop circles of pancake batter onto skillet. Wait until bubbles appear and pop on the surface, then flip the pancakes and cook for another minute or so + stack!
Recipe Cred [although modified] from: Diane A Broad
Serve with coconut yogurt + almonds, honey or pure maple syrup- whatever your little heart desires!
– The Neilan Family-