This is by far Patrick’s favorite thing that my mom has ever made for him. Which is of course, why he asked me to make it on his birthday this year [with meat sauce]. If you are ever looking for a recipe to please a crowd, this is definitely it!! The beauty is it lasts all week and is family friendly. If you’re vegan, skip the meat sauce and use vegan cheese to make it plant based!
- 1 box of whole wheat lasagna
- 1 lb of ricotta
- 1 lb mozzarella [sliced thin or grated. i used freshed, sliced mozarella]
- 1/2 C grated Locatelli cheese [it’s the only Parmesan we use. in the refrigerated section]
- 2 or 3 Tbsp Olive Oil
- Meat Sauce or Marinara
- Preheat oven to 425
- Cook lasagna according to package direction [add oil to the water to prevent noodles from sticking together after draining]
- In a 13 x 9 inch roasting pan: layer bottom with sauce
- Add a layer of noodles
- Then, using a tablespoon, put dollops of ricotta a few inches apart on noodles and then spread across the noodles with your fingertips [or the back of a spoon]
- Sprinkle with shredded mozzarella or place sliced layer on top of ricotta
- Lightly sprinkle with grated Locatelli cheese
- Finish off by spooning sauce over the entire layer
- Repeat until pan is full
- Top layer should be noodles covered with sauce and grated cheese only
- Cover pan with foil and bake for 45 minutes
- Let sit for 10 minutes, easier to cut!
Fun Fact: In Italy they actually wait until the next day to eat the Lasagna! It’s even tastier day two!
Hope you enjoy my mom’s recipe!
-The Neilan Family-