Vegan. Delicious. Easy. Going to be perfectly honest with you guys. This sauce was 100% accidental. It was a Tuesday after a long day of work and I was whipping up a sauce based off of what we had around. I was topping it off with some red pepper and the cap fell off! Making it SUPER spice and also our favorite sauce yet! If you don’t love spice, decrease the amount and if you do love spice, you’re in for a treat.
- 1 1/4 cups raw ground cashew (I put them in a small blender without liquid and mixed until it turned into a fine powder)
- optional: 1 Tbsp arrowroot starch
- 3-4 Tbsp nutritional yeast or 1/4 C parmesan cheese
- 2-3 cloves fresh, minced garlic
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/3 C combo of fresh basil + parsley (we always do more basil than parsley)
- 3-4 Tbsp red repper
- 1-2 cups (240-480 ml) your milk of choice (we used cashew)
- To food processor, add arrowroot starch (for thickening), ground cashews, nutritional yeast or parmesan, garlic, sea salt, red pepper, and 1 cup milk.
Blend on high until creamy and smooth, scraping down sides as needed. Taste and adjust flavor as needed, adding more garlic for kick/zing, nutritional yeast or parmesan cheese for cheesy flavor, salt for saltiness, or milk if too thick.
Transfer to a skillet and cook over medium-low to medium heat for 5 minutes, whisking frequently. The sauce should thicken and bubble. Add more dairy-free milk as needed to thin. Then it’s ready to serve!
Enjoy with zucchini noodles or your favorite pasta (we use Banza aka chickpea pasta for extra protein. Should you try Banza pasta DO NOT FOLLOW BOX FOR BOILING INSTRUCTIONS. You will have mush. Boil for 5 minutes only). It could even be enjoyed layered in lasagna! Top with additional nutritional yeast or Parmesan Cheese and/or Roasted Tomatoes/green veggies for more flavor.
-The Neilan Family-
2 thoughts on “Spicy Cashew Cream Sauce”
This sounds fantastic! Sometimes accidents can turn out happy. I cannot wait to try this. 💗