Lets be honest- we all love the top of the muffin the best. Whenever I make a batch in the house, I end up with a bunch of muffin stubs laying around. This is exactly why the blueberry muffie recipe was born.
You can either bake these in a regular baking dish or a muffin tin! The bottom layer is from another recipe we’ve posted: [Vegan] Dreamy Banana Date Bar – because why mess with perfection. The middle layer is chia seed jam and the top portion is a oat, hemp + almond crumble. It. is. delicious.
about sugar: Usually when it comes to sweet in a recipe, we say “to taste” often. This is because depending on what kind of sugar you use on daily basis- what’s sweet to me, might not be sweet to you! I have actually weaned myself off of Splenda and artificial sweeteners because I didn’t like that it took more and more for me to taste the sweetness. That is why you see pure maple syrup and pure honey in a majority of our recipes!
- 2.5 cups quick oats
- 2 tbsp ground flax
- 1/3 cup unsweetened coconut flakes
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 cup almond milk
- 2 overripe bananas sliced in half lengthwise then chopped up
- 8 medjool dates (68 g without pits), chopped
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 packets Stevia or 1/4 C Honey – to taste
- We added hemp powder [Manitoba Harvest: Hemp Yeah, Max Protein]
recipe for base
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Add the oats, flax, coconut, protein powder [if you’re using] and cinnamon to a bowl and stir to combine.
- Mix in the vanilla and almond milk. Fold in the chopped banana and dates. (Taste the dough and add a bit of stevia if you want them a little sweeter.)
- Place in either muffin tin OR baking dish
- Bake for 15 minutes.
- Set aside, it will go back in the oven after the jam + crumble topping.
ingredients + recipe: chia seed jam
- 2 heaping cups of frozen mixed berries (or fruit of your choice)
- 3/4 C water
- 1-2 Tbsp of Pure Maple Syrup
- 1 Tbsp Chia Seeds
- Place berries and water in a small sauce pot- turn on medium heat- and bring to boil. Stirring occasionally.
- Use a fork or spoon to help the fruit breakdown
- Once liquid has been absorbed and the jam is your desired consistency [we prefer some clumps of fruit], remove pan from heat and add maple syrup + chia seeds.
- Whisk for about 5 minutes to make sure chia seeds don’t clump up on you
- After the base has baked for 15 minutes, add a generous amount of chia seed jam on top. We put a generous amount but you might have extra jam regardless [yay!]
ingredients + recipe: crumble topping
- 1 C Rolled Oats
- 1/4 C Sliced Almonds
- 1/4 Hemp Seeds
- 1/4 C Honey or to taste
- Mix above ingredients in a bowl
- Crumble over chia seed jam
- Place muffies back in the oven for 15 minutes at 350
PS: To switch it up and get a little crazy, you can always layer some jam in the middle + top too!
-The Neilan Family-
4 thoughts on “Blueberry Muffies”
I love how you made the topping! Great addition to the muffins. Thanks for sharing 🙂 I made an Italian version of munchkins, and they were quick, easy and delicious. You can check them out here 🙂
These look so so good! Have you ever substituted anything for the dates?
we’ve used figs! others have tried raisins, craisins, dried blueberries, apricots! The sky is limit
Oh ok! Wonderful 🙂 Can’t wait to try!!