Lets be honest- we all love the top of the muffin the best. Whenever I make a batch in the house, I end up with a bunch of muffin stubs laying around. This is exactly why the blueberry muffie recipe was born.
You can either bake these in a regular baking dish or a muffin tin! The bottom layer is from another recipe we’ve posted: [Vegan] Dreamy Banana Date Bar – because why mess with perfection. The middle layer is chia seed jam and the top portion is a oat, hemp + almond crumble. It. is. delicious.
about sugar: Usually when it comes to sweet in a recipe, we say “to taste” often. This is because depending on what kind of sugar you use on daily basis- what’s sweet to me, might not be sweet to you! I have actually weaned myself off of Splenda and artificial sweeteners because I didn’t like that it took more and more for me to taste the sweetness. That is why you see pure maple syrup and pure honey in a majority of our recipes!
- 2.5 cups quick oats
- 2 tbsp ground flax
- 1/3 cup unsweetened coconut flakes
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 cup almond milk
- 2 overripe bananas sliced in half lengthwise then chopped up
- 8 medjool dates (68 g without pits), chopped
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 packets Stevia or 1/4 C Honey – to taste
- We added hemp powder [Manitoba Harvest: Hemp Yeah, Max Protein]
recipe for base
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Add the oats, flax, coconut, protein powder [if you’re using] and cinnamon to a bowl and stir to combine.
- Mix in the vanilla and almond milk. Fold in the chopped banana and dates. (Taste the dough and add a bit of stevia if you want them a little sweeter.)
- Place in either muffin tin OR baking dish
- Bake for 15 minutes.
- Set aside, it will go back in the oven after the jam + crumble topping.
ingredients + recipe: chia seed jam
- 2 heaping cups of frozen mixed berries (or fruit of your choice)
- 3/4 C water
- 1-2 Tbsp of Pure Maple Syrup
- 1 Tbsp Chia Seeds
- Place berries and water in a small sauce pot- turn on medium heat- and bring to boil. Stirring occasionally.
- Use a fork or spoon to help the fruit breakdown
- Once liquid has been absorbed and the jam is your desired consistency [we prefer some clumps of fruit], remove pan from heat and add maple syrup + chia seeds.
- Whisk for about 5 minutes to make sure chia seeds don’t clump up on you
- After the base has baked for 15 minutes, add a generous amount of chia seed jam on top. We put a generous amount but you might have extra jam regardless [yay!]
ingredients + recipe: crumble topping
- 1 C Rolled Oats
- 1/4 C Sliced Almonds
- 1/4 Hemp Seeds
- 1/4 C Honey or to taste
- Mix above ingredients in a bowl
- Crumble over chia seed jam
- Place muffies back in the oven for 15 minutes at 350
PS: To switch it up and get a little crazy, you can always layer some jam in the middle + top too!
-The Neilan Family-