As you all know, if you follow us on the wonderful world of Instagram, burritos are one of my absolute favorite foods. So why not bundle up a whole bunch, throw them in a pan and call them enchiladas! We made half with ground turkey meat and half with veggies and beans. You can always mix up your personal protein preference.
This was actually our first enchilada go around [homemade] and Patrick said, I really outdid myself aka a definite WIN!! They were so yummy, so easy and great for the whole week.
Note: We had some bell peppers in the house and stuffed them with all the left over ingredients! If you want to do this too, have some extra on hand!
- Tortillas [the only brand we use + LOVE Ole Xtreme Wellness High Fiber]
- Enchilada Sauce [it was a week night and we opted to use Trader Joe’s brand. It has 220mg of sodium per 1/4 C, not too bad because we definitely did not use that much on each enchilada]
- 1 small can of chipotle chilis in adobo sauce
- 2lb ground turkey [or your choice of meat/beans]
- 1 Can of vegetarian refried beans [by choosing vegetarian, you are eliminating the lard/bacon fat that many regular brands contain]
- You can use taco seasoning of choice [we like hot + spicy or our own homemade seasoning – see below]
- 2 sliced jalapenos
- Mexican shredded cheese [can omit or use vegan cheese]
- 1 diced yellow onion
- 2 diced yellow, red or orange bell peppers
- Plain Greek yogurt or sour cream to top
- 2 chopped scallions
- purple potatoes [about 10 small potatoes- ours were about the size of a ping pong ball. if yours are larger, use less]
- no salt added canned corn
- Avocado to top
optional spicy taco seasoning [you can use this to season beans and/or meat]
- 2 Tbsp. chili powder
- 2 tsp. ground cumin
- 1 ½ tsp. garlic powder
- ½ tsp. onion powder
- 1 tsp. dried oregano
- ¼ tsp. paprika
- 1 tsp. sea salt
- ½ tsp. cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp. red pepper
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees
- Spray 13 x 9 glass baking dish with olive oil + set aside
- Bring pot of water to boil + add purple potatoes. Take them off heat once you are able to easily place a fork through it. Drain + set potatoes aside.
- Follow instructions to cook ground turkey meat and add taco seasoning [if you are using beans in place of meat, sauté beans in a pan with taco seasoning as well]
- Add diced onion and bell peppers to ground meat [or bean]/taco seasoning mixture and sauté until golden
- Add chipotle chilis to ground meat [or bean] mixture
- Dice purple potatoes. Ours were small to begin with and we diced them into fours.
- Once bean or meat mixture is cooked thoroughly, take your first tortilla and layer with bean or meat mixture, then dollop refried beans, then sprinkle corn, then add purple potatoes. Add your enchilada [open side faced down] on your prepped baking dish
- Continue until you use all of the tortillas
- Pour enchilada sauce over
- Then sprinkle cheese [vegan or regular] to taste on top
- Sprinkle sliced jalapenos and chopped scallions on top
- Cover with tin foil
- Bake for 25 minutes
- Take off tin foil, then broil for 2-5 min until top is browned
- Allow to cool + enjoy with some delish avocado, hot sauce + Greek yogurt or sour cream!