I adore this sauce SO much! If you guys like creamy as much as I do but want to skip the heavy dairy additions that most white sauces call for, THIS IS THE RECIPE FOR YOU!
Idea: Swap out the mushrooms for peas, broccoli, etc! If you don’t love mushrooms – no fear, switch it up!
- 3 Tbsp of Olive Oil [you can also use 1/4 C of butter if you’d like it more creamy]
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 pound cremini mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 1 onion, diced
- 1/4 cup flour OR 4 Tsp Arrowroot OR 2 Tbsp of cornstarch [whichever you have on hand to thicken]
- 3.5 cups almond milk
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- Pinch of nutmeg
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- To make the sauce, melt butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Add garlic, mushrooms and onion. Cook, stirring occasionally, until tender, about 3-4 minutes. Whisk in flour [or arrowroot or cornstarch] until lightly browned, about 1 minute.
- Gradually whisk in milk, and cook, whisking constantly, until slightly thickened, about 2-3 minutes. Stir in basil, oregano and nutmeg until fragrant, about 1 minute; season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- We of course, always sprinkle some red pepper on top!
recipe adapted from: damndelicious.net
That’s it! We hope you love!
The Neilan Family
One thought on “Plant Based Creamy Mushroom Sauce”
Love this recipe! 💗